Monday, March 26, 2012

A case of the Monday's

I'm not sure if it was all the wet weather we had over the weekend, or the baby being up several times in the middle of the night (unusual for her), but I was absolutely beat today.  I think the 3rd graders could sense it too, because they had a hard time focusing too.  I guess it was a case of the Monday's all around.

I didn't sew much today because I taught my art class to the 3rd graders.  This month's project is based on the works of Georgia O'Keefe and involves making a monoprint out of a Styrofoam sheet, painting it, and transferring the paint to a black piece of paper.  Since Georgia painted beautiful flowers, flowers are our focal point and we were supposed to make them "Larger than Life" and fill the entire paper.  Here is the first one that I completed.

It is supposed to be the center of an orchid.  It didn't quite turn out the way I wanted, so I made another.


I like this one better, but I still wasn't thrilled.

I actually told the students today that I thought the difference between artists and non-artists is that artists create something and say to themselves, "Yeah, I like it! Let's hang it on the wall!", and non-artist are ever-critical of their work.  I could be wrong, but it seems to be true on some days.

On the sewing table, I managed to finish the rest of the blocks for the Lincoln UFO, but haven't sewn them together into a flimsy yet.  I also finished the top and back of what will become my free motion placemat for this month.  Hopefully, I will get it sandwiched and quilted tomorrow so I can post by the end of the month.  My Easter runner is also partially quilted and I am trying to decide if I want to do more or not.  I think it needs a little more than just in-the-ditch, but.....it sure would be nice to just be done with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I had to shut off comments for a long time because I was just getting spammed. I'm going to try moderation for a while and see if that helps. Please leave me a comment.