Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Bee Questions - Building Blocks Tuesday

Interested in joining a bee for the New Year?   The bee that I've been participating in for the last few months is looking for some new faces.  Head over to the Mrs. Pickles Garden blog to check it out.  I am currently in the We Be With It group, but I've also had a great time in the We Bee Learning group in the past.  There is also a group just for Canadians, who make the most lovely blocks that I wish I lived  north of the border.

Joining a bee is a great way to meet people, get some diverse fabrics into your quilt, and a way to not have to do all the work yourself!

Bee Block Mosaic


Since I was travelling all last week for Thanksgiving, I didn't get a chance to start on any new blocks to share this week.  Instead, I put together a little mosaic of some of the bee blocks I've made in recent years to tempt you into answering a few questions for me:

1) Are you interested in joining a bee for the New Year?
2) Which kind of bee do you prefer - one where you choose the block and general colors (so you end up with all the same kind of blocks in your quilt), or one where you choose the color palette and your bee mates choose which block to make for you (so you end up with a sampler at the end).
3) Is there a particular design aesthetic that you prefer your bee to adhere to; for example, a modern bee, paper piecing only bee, improv block bee, classic blocks bee, etc.?
4) What platform do you prefer to post/share/generally communicate to your bee mates through - Flickr? Instagram? Linky parties?

Thanks for taking the time to answer a few little questions.  Every so often I get the idea in my head to start a bee or swap.  I know what I like, but I am curious as to what you like.

I also wanted to remind you that the Sew Mama Sew Giveaway Day is coming up next week, starting on December 8th!

What blocks have you working on this week?  I would love to see.  Link up your fabulous blocks.  You put a lot of hard work into them - show them off!  This free linky will stay open until the first Monday of next month, but I will repost it every Tuesday until a new month starts.


Quilter in the Closet

Rules:

1) Please link up only to the page in your blog showing your wonderful blocks, not just the blog homepage.  Flickr pictures are also OK.
2) Make sure to put your blog name as the description so people know where they are going or the name of your block!
3) Please grab my button and post it in your blog post or sidebar.
4) Visit other linky participants!

Thanks for reading!

Jen



9 comments:

  1. I have been quilting a little over three years and I've never joined a bee. I have participated in several fabric swaps. Obviously some were more successful than others. I'm reluctant to join a bee because I am terrified they'll ask me to paper-piece!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for posting this -- I have signed up for one bee next year but I am hoping that I will be able to join at least one or two more for next year. I like groups all making the same or similar blocks -- I did a block drive for our guild and the parameters were 8 point stars and color pallet with a specific background color. I like google groups, blogs and flickr for group swaps better than instagram.

    ReplyDelete
  3. some lovely blocks you have here. Re the bee it is not for me as I am not confident with my quilting yet not sure i ever will be but best of luck with them

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jen. I have never joined a bee before but love the idea. I use flickr and also love link parties but not keen on Instagram

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been part of several Bees now and have discovered that I like it best when there is a theme for the block but the actual design and execution is up to each individual Bee member. That really pushed me creatively and even although in terms of blocks received it has been by far the worst of the Bees I have been a member of the experience I gained through taking part was immense.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never been in a bee, sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never participated in a bee although I am considering it for the new year. I think choosing a block and general colors would work well. I like instagram, Flickr, and linky parties.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds tempting! I wouldn't mind what Type of choice or type of block, but it Im not a great fan of IG or flickr - so it would need to be blog based, or facebook? Does that help?

    ReplyDelete

I had to shut off comments for a long time because I was just getting spammed. I'm going to try moderation for a while and see if that helps. Please leave me a comment.