Tuesday, November 10, 2015

Patience required - Building Blocks Tuesday

I am not the most patient of people.

I used to think I was pretty reasonable with regard to patience when I was younger, but now I recognize that it was more apathy than patience.  Then, I had children, which tests what little patience I actually have intensely.

Why do I bring up patience?  Well, it just so happens that gardening requires a bit of patience, which I am already in short supply.  It has only been a week, and I am lamenting on the fact that NONE of my plants are growing.  Not one single leaf has broken the soil that I have been meticulously watching, watering, etc.  "A watched pot never boils", you say?  Well, I have expectations!  I pre-sprouted several of my seeds before planting them in the garden, and I would have expected those seeds to show some signs of life by now.  Sigh.  No patience.

About the only exciting things that have happened in my garden this week, was this visitor.....

Untitled

And, something climbed into the garden bed (through the chicken wire) and stole one of my sweet potatoes right out of the dirt.  Luckily, I have a few more sprouting inside that I can plant in its place soon.

OK, so this is a quilting blog and has any quilting happened this week?  No.  Not really.  I did make two of these draft stoppers things.  For some reason, the contractors took off a bunch of our thresholds for our doors, and we've had some pretty strong (and cold) winds blowing in.

Untitled

I am not certain that they are actually stopping the draft completely, but they do at least stop small pebbles and other debris from being blown under the door and across the room, so I guess they are doing something.   I stuffed them with some batting trimmings that I had saved (I don't know why!, but hey they were handy for this) from trimming off the edges of my quilts in the past.  I stuffed them pretty good, so they have a nice weight to them.  I have several more doors that require these things, but I ran out of trimmings and haven't decided what to stuff them with instead.  The gap under the girl's bathroom door is so big that I'm a bit worried that I will open the door one morning to find a snake in the house.  Yes, these are the things that keep me awake a night.

I am hoping to get a day of sewing in tomorrow, but we will see what actually happens.

What blocks have you working on this week?  I would love to see.  Link up your fabulous blocks.  You put a lot of hard work into them - show them off!  This free linky will stay open until the first Monday of next month, but I will repost it every Tuesday until a new month starts.


Quilter in the Closet

Rules:

1) Please link up only to the page in your blog showing your wonderful blocks, not just the blog homepage.  Flickr and Instagram pictures are also OK.
2) Make sure to put your blog name as the description so people know where they are going or the name of your block!
3) Please grab my button and post it in your blog post or sidebar.
4) Visit other linky participants!


Thanks for reading,

Jen




3 comments:

  1. Be patient with your seedlings. When any plant is moved/re planted they will go into shock for a while. They will then adjust and start to grow away as you would expect xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. nothing might be sprouting but you certainly get strange visitors to your garden. No seeds but be thankful no weeds either, I have problems with those. I am sure soon things will start to grow. Door stopper should be a good help with pebbles wind rain etc.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG, I love Praying Mantises! They are so fun. We had a very friendly fellow in our yard once. He climbed right into our hands and didn't want to leave our bodies. Every time we tried to place him on the plants he would hop right back on one of us. I never knew bugs could emit such personality before. I miss him; I wish another would visit our gardens again.

    ReplyDelete

I had to shut off comments for a long time because I was just getting spammed. I'm going to try moderation for a while and see if that helps. Please leave me a comment.