Sunday, March 6, 2016

Inspirational Sunday (2) - via QuiltConWest 2016

Welcome back to Inspirational Sunday!

Today, I am sharing quilts in the "Use of Negative Space" category and I must say that this category is one that I don't always "get".  While I recognize that each of these quilts has negative space, I don't always see that they are using it in any special way.  Please tell me what you think!

First, the winner of the category, "Reflection by Nancy Purvis of Garner, North Carolina.

"Reflection" by Nancy Purvis of Garner, North Carolina.  Quilted by Mary Gregory.


It was machine pieced (paper pieced) and machine quilted on a frame.  I like how simple the design is and how the reflection from the center creates balance.

This quilt was for sale and sold, but I do not remember how much it sold for.  I want to say $400, but that may not be accurate.

Next up is "Bullseye" by Vicki Ruebel of Las Vegas, Nevada.


"Bullseye" by Vicki Ruebel of Las Vegas, Nevada

It was machine pieced (improvisational piecing), and machine quilted on a frame.

I like how she echoed the shape in the quilting of the negative space.  As I am learning more about longarm quilting, I am wondering how she managed to quilt this on a frame and keep the lines of quilting continuous.

The next quilt is called, "Color Study (Triangles)" by Erika Mulvenna of Chicago, Illinois.


"Color Study (Triangles)" by Erika Mulvenna of Chicago, Illinois

It is machine pieced (large scale foundation piecing) and machine quilted without a frame.

I find this quilt very striking, but it is one of those quilts where I don't get how the negative space is being used in a special way.  Yes, it is creating the edges of the triangles, but what else?

In "Echoes" by Leanne Chahley of Lethridge, Alberta, Canada, I can see how the negative space in the center of the blocks is echoed by the circular shapes surrounding the blocks.

It was machine pieced and machine quilted on a frame.


"Echoes" by Leanne Chahley of Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada

I also liked her choice of thread for the quilting.


close up of "Echoes" by Leanne Chahley of Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada


I don't always like variegated thread, but I loved it on this quilt.

This next one was one of my favorites in the category.  "Skylight View" by Jennifer Rossotti of Kingsburg, CA.


"Skylight View" by Jennifer Rossotti of Kingsburg, CA

It was machine pieced (paper pieced) and machine quilted on a frame.

I like the way she quilted "blocks" around some of the geese, and even a phantom block of geese.

close up of "Skylight View" by Jennifer Rossotti of Kingsburg, CA

The last one for today is, "Modern Glacier" by Pamela Gavin of Bakersfield, CA. and quilted by Darla Hennessee Hall.

It is machine pieced (improvisational piecing) and machine quilted on a frame.

"Modern Glacier" by Pamela Gavin of Bakersfield, CA.  Quilted by Darla Hennessee Hall

While I like the colors, this one is all about the quilting for me.

close up of "Modern Glacier" by Pamela Gavin of Bakersfield, CA.  Quilted by Darla Hennessee Hall

I am a big fan of this type of quilting, and I really like how it is broken up across the quilt.  I like the ghost shapes, and the diversity of designs.  I also enjoyed seeing how the quilter used some colored thread in the negative space.  The light aqua color and light brown adds a bit of pop to those sections, but the color is not TOO contrasting to detract from the piecing.

This quilt was for sale for $750, but had not sold when I saw it.


What about you?  Do you like using lots of negative space in your quilts?  How do you interpret the "Use of Negative Space" category?



Thanks for reading today,


Jen

3 comments:

  1. Skylight Blues is beautiful. I like the winner and the black one too. I do like negative space, within reason, but I think it is really hard to pull off successfully. The first time someone does it, it is cutting edge, but the next time is just copying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. some excellent quilts here you really have tp be an excellent quilter to make such negative quilts

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah I also heard about this QuiltConWest 2016 event. All these quilts are really cute and unique. I too have interest in quilting and just attended a convention at a local event space. Was quite impressed by the designs that other participants showed.

    ReplyDelete

I had to shut off comments for a long time because I was just getting spammed. I'm going to try moderation for a while and see if that helps. Please leave me a comment.