Sunday, March 20, 2016

Inspirational Sunday (4) - via QuiltConWest 2016

Welcome back to Inspirational Sunday.

Today, we continue with the Piecing category from QuiltConWest 2016.

I think took more pictures of this category because piecing is something I could definitely improve on!  Plus, I really enjoy looking at how the piecing makes some of these designs really come together.  The first quilt is a great example.

This quilt is called "Kaleido" by Jeannie Jenkins of Willowdale, Ontario, Canada.  It is machine pieced and machine quilted on a frame.


"Kaleido" by Jeannie Jenkins of Willowdale, Ontario, Canada


Here is a close up.  I found it interesting that some of the blocks are offset from the grid just enough to elongate those points, making it a more interesting design.


close up of "Kaleido" by Jeannie Jenkins of Willowdale, Ontario, Canada


This next one is one of my favorites in the group.  It is called "Shape Shifting" by Dawn Golstab of Leander, Texas.  It is machine pieced and machine quilted on a frame.


"Shape Shifting" by Dawn Golstab of Leander, Texas.


It is one of my favorites in this group because it is her perfectly lined up points that create the shapes you see.  She even matched up some of the fabric design to keep the illusion going!  That is dedication!

close up of "Shape Shifting" by Dawn Golstab of Leander, Texas.

I just found it cool!


close up of "Shape Shifting" by Dawn Golstab of Leander, Texas.


"Cog" by Emily Cier and quilted by Angela Walters is next up.  It is machine pieced and machine quilted on a frame.

"Cog" by Emily Cier of Seattle, Washington.  Quilted by Angela Walters.


I have only ever seen this pattern as a hand pieced design.  I would be interested to know how she machine pieced it.  But, I have done a few of Emily's other patterns and know that the piecing is not always as easy as you hope.

close up of "Cog" by Emily Cier of Seattle, Washington.  Quilted by Angela Walters.


Finally, some of the winners of the Piecing category!

"Pointed Statement" by Amy Friend of West Newbury, Massachusetts is machine pieced and machine quilted on a frame.  It won 2nd place in the category.

"Pointed Statement" by Amy Friend of West Newbury, Massachusetts.


It is an original paper pieced design.  I looks like it is pieced together using diagonal strips, yet her triangles point up and down perfectly!


close up of "Pointed Statement" by Amy Friend of West Newbury, Massachusetts.


I like how she mixed in colored thread in the quilting and varied the distance between her straight lines.


close up of "Pointed Statement" by Amy Friend of West Newbury, Massachusetts.


And 1st place goes to "Under the Radar" by Corrine Sovey of Austin, Texas.  It is machine pieced (paper pieced) and machine quilted without a frame.

This quilt was for sale for $3000. When I walked by it on Saturday, it had still not sold.


"Under the Radar" by Corinne Sovey of Austin, Texas.


Here is a close up.

close up of "Under the Radar" by Corinne Sovey of Austin, Texas.


I found the piecing really interesting on this one.  She maintains some of the gray and white horizontal strips in the inner rings.  Also, instead of breaking up that center red circle into quadrants, she used one half circle and added a quarter.  I would have loved to be in the room when she pieced all those rings together.


That's it for this category.  I hope you enjoyed it!

Thanks for reading,


Jen




3 comments:

  1. It worked! I'm off the computer and back to the sewing machine right now! I'll check blogs later! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. lovely thing cogs gets my vote, have not attempted a plain fabric quilt fear my errors would be more noticable. the pattern fabric tends to disguise them

    ReplyDelete
  3. Had to come back & let you know how much I am enjoying these posts! I went to our local show Saturday & actually took photos for a change, hopefully I can post a few soon:-) Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

I had to shut off comments for a long time because I was just getting spammed. I'm going to try moderation for a while and see if that helps. Please leave me a comment.